CT-User

Re: [ct-user] CTWIN keying via USB port on an XP laptop

To: k1ep.list@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [ct-user] CTWIN keying via USB port on an XP laptop
From: "Bob Wilson, N6TV" <n6tv@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 11:28:27 -0800
On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 9:27 AM, Ed K1EP <k1ep.list@gmail.com> wrote:

> The question is whether there is a true parallel port implementation
> available.

While there are several USB-to-Parallel port adapters on the market, I have
never heard of anyone who got CW keying to work with any of them.

USB-to-Serial:  CW is OK
USB-to-Parallel:  CW doesn't work
WinKey:  Not supported by CT or CTWin

So, your only choice is to add a real parallel port or try a USB-to-serial
keying circuit.  If you're using a laptop, many laptop docking stations have
"real" parallel and serial ports that works fine with CTWin.

But, I second the suggestion to make the big move from CT to Win-Test; it's
an easy transition for any CT user with a Windows machine (even Win98).
WinKey is supported as well as parallel port keying (if you have a real
parallel port), and serial port keying (USB-to-Serial OK).

73,
Bob, N6TV