CT-User

[ct-user] Curious signal - CQWW CW Contest

To: CT Contest Program Discussion List <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [ct-user] Curious signal - CQWW CW Contest
From: Al - N1API <n1api@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2009 11:11:58 -0500
During the CQWW CW Contest I heard a curious signal that I was not able
to identity as I could not get the whole call.
It was not that I didn't recognize what country it may have been but
where it was from or the path it was taking.

I just finished working a number of JAs on 20 meter CW.  The band was
fading and I figured that I would turn the
antenna south to see what I could find there.  As I was working up the
band I came across a signal and tried to work
on getting the call.  The only thing that I could make out of it was
that it was a JA prefix.  Since I had the beam south
I was very confused and thought that it may have been a strong JA on the
back of the beam.  Since I have a Step-IR
I punched the the 180 degree button and the signal dropped to zero.  The
signal was coming from the south.  I don't
remember how much of the call I got, but know that it was to weak to
pick the whole call up but I did keep hearing
JA.

Anyone know if I was hearing, (for the first time in my 30 year amateur
career), a JA over the SOUTH pole, or maybe
something else?

Thanks, hope you all had a great Christmas.  Maybe Santa will bring some
good 10, 12 and 15 meter band openings
for us this year.  (And 6 too!)

-73-  Al