CT-User

Re: [ct-user] CAT control of an FTdx5000

To: "John V. Evans" <jvevans@his.com>, CT Reflector <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [ct-user] CAT control of an FTdx5000
From: "Bob Wilson, N6TV" <n6tv@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 13:55:08 -0800
On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 12:11 PM, John V. Evans <jvevans@his.com> wrote:

> I am having trouble getting my computer to talk to an FTdx5000.
> Previously, it was operating with an FT1000MP and the COMTSR statement
> (in the batch file) was "COMTSR1 -b4800 -n81 -rts" but this does not
> work. I have tried operating without rts (disabling it in the radio) -
> to no avail. Anyone have any ideas?
>
>              John Evans, N3HBX

John,

The FTDX5000 and other newer Yaesu radios use a different CAT command set
than the FT-1000MP.  It may not be possible to control any of the newer
Yaesu radios with CT.  Note that CT is no longer being maintained.  One of
the last releases added support from Elecraft K3 (about 2.5 years ago.)

Consider upgrading to Win-Test.  You can download a free trial from
http://www.win-test.com.  Win-Test is much more compatible with CT than the
two biggest alternatives (N1MM Software and Writelog).  It supports the
FTdx9000 which you can also use for the FTdx5000.  Win-test also supports
VE3NEA's OmniRig (a free program that supports even newer radios).

Note also that if you are using a USB-to-Serial adapter, be sure to use one
based on the FTDI chipset; those based on the Prolific chipsets usually do
not work very well.  Usually you can figure out what type of adapter you
have by using the Windows Device Manager (devmgmt.msc), under "Ports (COM &
LPT)".

73,
Bob, N6TV