CT-User

Re: [ct-user] Contact w/ CT users...

To: CT Reflector <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [ct-user] Contact w/ CT users...
From: "Bob Wilson, N6TV" <n6tv@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2018 18:11:36 -0800
Win-Test <http://www.win-test.com> was designed based on the CT user
interface, matching colors and keystrokes, plus it provides so much more.
If you're really comfortable with CT, then you'll be really comfortable
with Win-Test.

DXLog.net by 9A5K is similar, though (IMHO) less stable, but it supports
more contests, such as state QSO parties.

Both of these programs can key CW just fine using legacy keying circuits
for LPT ports or serial ports or even USB-to-Serial adapters, which provide
virtual serial ports.  And yes you can still buy Windows 10 desktop
computers with real serial and parallel ports, if you prefer the
simplicity, but most folks have concluded that they are no longer required.

You may download the free "DXpedition" version of Win-Test to check out the
CW timing for yourself:

http://download.win-test.com/v4/freeware/

Of course the most popular logging software by far these days is N1MM+,
which is completely free to use, and it has improved to the point where it
can key decent CW over a serial port or LPT pin too.  So there's really no
need to worry so much about timing issues under Windows if you have a
reasonably fast new computer, such as one that runs Windows 10 smoothly.
However, N1MM+ look a lot different than CT, Win-Test or DXLog.net.

Shameless plug:  I produce a little box with four legacy serial port keying
circuits that will work with any of the above programs when properly
configured, see https://bit.ly/S-BOX.  Note that some radios (Elecraft K3,
newer Icom rigs, newest Yaesu rigs) support serial port keying, rig
control, and sound card voice keying over a single USB cable.  The legacy
keying circuit is already "built in."

73,
Bob, N6TV