[Karlnet] Lightning problems tonight, what should I expect.

To: <isp-wireless@isp-wireless.com>
Subject: [Karlnet] Lightning problems tonight, what should I expect.
From: "Brett Hays" <bretth@htonline.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 01:29:35 -0500
We took a nearby lightning hit at our tower tonight.  Not a direct hit.
It's on top of a grain mill and I have a point to point (mini-ror w/ 24 db
grid) and an ap-1000 with an 8db omni and 1 watt two piece amp there,
antennas are within 2 feet of one another.  Power outage also occurred as
part of the same storm.  When power was restored the point to point came
back just fine, the power injector for the amp on the omni was flashing
solid red and the AP1000 (running Karlnet) had just two amber lights on
ethernet and slot a.

I replace the AP1000 and the power injector on the amp.  The AP1000 has
normal light pattern and pulls up and appears normal in configurator, but no
clients are online.  I have a spare amp on hand, but do not have a spare
omni antenna on hand.  In near lightning situations like this is the antenna
often damaged or more likely just the amp?  I can get a climber up to
replace the amp in the morning, but I will have to wait for overnight
shipping to get an omni antenna here (unless someone is withing a few hours
of southern Indiana who has one on hand?).  Am I likely to get back online
with just a new amp or is the omni likely fried as well?  What has been the
experience of others on the list?

Brett Hays
Hometown Online
www.htonline.net