[Karlnet] Help --> dropped packets (intermittant)

Subject: [Karlnet] Help --> dropped packets (intermittant)
From: "Bill Fisher" <fisher@akorn.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 04:56:54 -0400
Hi all,

I have a customer who is using an RG with an Orinoco card about 200 yards from
our tower.  He has been working great for months.  On Friday he said his
connection became extremely unstable and unreliable.  He said it would work for
5 minutes and then not at all.

Signal strength looks great (20db SNR).

When I do a ping-fill test, I will get 2 or 3 in a row (30 sec) that have zero
packet loss.  Then, I run it again and I get half or much more than half of the
packets getting dropped or lost.

I have tried ping-fill tests with other customers on the same tower with no
trouble noted.

The only thing I can think that changed on Friday was a new customer added.  I
guess I will try asking him to turn off his equipment while I do more tests.
Anything else I should be thinking about or trying?

Bill