[Karlnet] Orinoco PCMCIA Card differences (noise level)

Subject: [Karlnet] Orinoco PCMCIA Card differences (noise level)
From: Peter Dordik <dordik@presov.viapvt.sk>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 18:54:48 +0100
I noticed very big "noise level" differences between several (Lucent, Orinoco,
Avaya) PCMCIA cards. I made tests in Client Mode under Linux and Windows. Under
Linux OS i used orinoco_cs driver and wlags49 Agere driver with "firmware
download" feature, so i saw, that results are firmware independent.

Best results i had with my oldest (SN00UT....) Wavelan Turbo Silver card (best
SNR, because of lowest Noise Level: about -103dBm). I noticed 10dB differences
in Noise level, while Signal Level differences are quite equal with tested
cards.

May be this is one reason of performance problems with Turbocell too, using
different "Lucent" cards, which were reported in past.

Peter