NA-User

[na-user] Remote access

To: <na-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [na-user] Remote access
From: dap14@chrysler.com (dap14@chrysler.com)
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 09:46:11 -0400
     Peter, PB0AIU asked whether there was a way to remotely access the log
     of another station (perhaps a multi) to check the log for mults, talk
     to the ops, etc.

     There is no capability to do this in NA.  A number of years ago, K5ZD
     and I talked about such capability, but we decided it was of marginal
     benefit.

     Also, it is my belief that this violates the definition of a "station"
     with regards to multi-ops and the geographic circle it must fit
     within.  If you're ten miles away, and you can peer into another
     station's log, interact with the ops, etc., are you not part of that
     station?  If this is the case, are you not violating the circle rule?

     Somewhat related to this are comments by Bob Cox, K3EST, head of the
     CQWW Contest, made at the Contest Forum at the 1997 Dayton Hamvention.
     Bob stated that packet was only allowed to be used "passively" - you
     could put out spots and receive spots, but no active interaction was
     allowed beyond sending and receiving spots.  You could not ask ("Hey,
     what heading are you beaming for that BV2?") nor ask ("I still need
     zone 40 on this band - let me know if you hear TF3YH") for
     information.  I'm not sure that the contest community as a whole
     agrees with these strict interpretations - I think its pretty common
     for folks to swap info via packet, particularly in multis.  However,
     to get back to Peter's question, I doubt that CQ would approve of one
     station interacting with another's log.

     73, Dave/K8CC

--
Submissions:              na-user@ve7tcp.ampr.org