NA-User

[NA-User] ICOM 738

To: NA-User@contesting.com
Subject: [NA-User] ICOM 738
From: Mark Ketchell <k5er@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 14:18:33 -0600
Hi Jim,
        Many of us started out using the com port for keying, and then
"graduating" to rig control and moved the keying function(and so2r
switching) to the LPT port. The ct-17 must attach to a com port, whereas
your cw keying can be done via either a com or an lpt. It has been years,
but I remember Dave doing a great job in the NA manual on how to do all of
this. Its really quite easy, once you understand what the software and rig
want from each other. When doing rig control, you do need to have both the
computer and rig set to the same speed, and (if I remember) the same parity
and stop bits.

        From the directory where you have NA, type "config" then select F4.
Select
the com port you wish to use for rig control and then tab over and using
the right/left arrows, select "XCVR1". You can then escape out of this and
then choose F5, equipment setup. "enter" or "tab" moves through the fields.
Choose the IC738 from the drop down list and if you care to, you can change
the cw keying to LPT (if you want to save the second com port for something
else). Keep hitting "enter" to tab through all the fields and hit "y" to
accept the changes.

        I don't have the documentation here at work, but if the above info
doesn't
do it for you, drop me an email offline and I'll look it up and walk you
through it.

Best of luck,
Mark, K5ER

k5er@arrl.net