[Orion] Comments on using an Orion for the CQ 160 CW contest

To: orion@contesting.com
Subject: [Orion] Comments on using an Orion for the CQ 160 CW contest
From: Eric Rosenberg <wd3q@starpower.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 20:10:03 -0500
From my comments on the just-passed CQ 160 CW contest, posted on the 3830 reflector.

----------

"A summer lightning storm brought a new Orion into to replace the fried Omni-6+, and combined with the inverted L, I learned all about intermod induced by local AM broadcasters. With an "AM Brickwall Filter" from WB5WPA, the intermod virtually disappeared and I was able to hear the weak stations I've never heard before.

"Using the Orion (and a Hercules II) for the first time in a CW contest was a great experience. While the Orion's ergonomics are very different than the Omni, operating the radio was really no different than before, with two major exceptions.

"In his presentation at the PVRC meeting earlier in January, Scott, W4PA, talked about the Orion's panoramic sound and diversity reception capabilities. With my meager station and mediocre CW skills, I tried the panoramic sound capability. It was very good, indeed, in helping me discern signals in the bandpass. The other unique characteristic, as pointed out by others (K3ZO and W4ZV come to mind) is the ability to crank down the bandwidth and watch nearby offensive signals go away. I did this couple of time to great effect, or so I thought, until I realized that -- at least in one instance -- I was *very* close to a weaker station CQing (sorry LX7I). This was an instance where the panoramic audio helped make that discovery - I heard him in my left ear, clearly off my frequency, but still awfully close.