Re: [Orion] psk-31 interface

To: Eugene Klingler <n8zx@tds.net>
Subject: Re: [Orion] psk-31 interface
From: Joe Giacobello <k2xx@swva.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 09:28:09 -0500
Gene, several here have recommended that no interface whatsoever is
required with the Orion if the audio input and output are obtained via
the Aux I/O jack on the rear panel.  Pin 1 is audio input and Pin 4 is
left channel audio output.  I am not sure why this possible with the
Orion; they may use some kind of isolation.  I have done the same with
my FT1000MP using the line out and phone patch audio in jacks, but I
think the results were not as clean as the Orion.  I haven't looked at
the Orion schematic.  The bottom line is that I have been doing it this
way for about three weeks and have received no bad reports or other
indication of IMD.  I am careful to operate just under the threshold at
where the ALC LED starts flashing.  You can probably save yourself the
trouble of building or buying an interface.  If you want an interface,
only audio transformers, available from Radio Shack and other suppliers,
are required.

73, Joe