Re: [Orion] S meter and sweep adjustment for Orion version 2 andother co

To: Carl Moreschi <n4py@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [Orion] S meter and sweep adjustment for Orion version 2 andother comments on firmware 2.054
From: Joe Giacobello <k2xx@swva.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 10:14:33 -0500
Carl, here's an update on my latest experiences with 2.054/1.19f (I've
copied the Orion and N4PY lists also.):

   1. V1.119f has almost completely solved the excessive sensitivity
      problem in the sweep display.  However, on some infrequent
      occasions, some very strong sigs still do go off scale.  I never
      had observed this with previous versions
   2. I'm happy to report that the scan speed is about twice that of
      previous versions.  (I am using high res with the large display.)
      A complete scan requires about 28".
   3. I did observe the scan actually stop briefly on one occasion.  I
      don't know if there was a computer or Orion or software problem.
      It resumed on its own, and I haven't observed it since.
   4. You seem to also have made some improvement in the routine that
      stops the scan when CW transmission begins.  Previously, the first
      character or two would be distorted.  It now works perfectly.  I
      wonder if this improvement has more to do with firmware than your
      software?  (BTW, I am using the DX4WIN kbrd.)
   5. TT seems to have provided more resolution and a wider range of
      settings in the QSK delay.  I use to run it at almost 100, but now
      I have reduce it to 60 or so.  The CW sidetone gain also seems
      more sensitive and had to be reduced.
   6. The Orion's S-meter seems far less sensitive than in previous
      firmware versions.  My recollection is that at RF gains of 50-60,
      the S-meter was quite active even on weak sigs.  Now it's
      immovable on most sigs with the RF gain at 80 or higher.
   7. I did observe an incident of distorted audio on CW this weekend.
      It seemed to clear up by changing the AGC threshold, but I haven't
      reproduced the problem since.

Thanks for your prompt response to the sweep issue.  I'll keep you
posted on further observations.

73, Joe
K2XX