Re: [Orion] O2 issues

To: <orion@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Orion] O2 issues
From: "Grant Youngman" <nq5t@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 09:57:13 -0600

> 1) The average power output on SSB seems unusually low.

Maybe you're voice characteristic?  Too far from the mic?  Turn up audio
gain a bit for a little more ALC action?  I haven't seen this as an issue.

> 2) "NR" at any setting produces significant distortion at
> narrow bandwidths.

This has been discussed and reported to T-T.  I agree with you, that at
narrow bandwidths there seems to me at least to be too much distortion --
sounds like something is clipping slightly.  It's also noticeable on SSB if
you listen critically.

> Using NR does not appear to enhance
> reception during noisy conditions.

In the Orion I, activating NR automatically reduced AGC THRESHOLD to a low
value no matter where it had been manually set.  This frequently led to
complaints (misinterpreted) as "NR increases noise".  It was done to ensure
that the DSP algorithms had enough signal to work with to be able to adapt.
NR effectively builds a narrow filter around the signal, so it needs some
(unknown) critical signal level to work effectively.  I'm not 100% sure, but
I don't think THRESHOLD is automatically lowered in the II, but if you have
RF gain reduced,and thus THRESHOLD raised since they are linked, and turn on
NR, you may not have enough signal to give NR something to work with and the
signal just sort of disappears in the mud.  I've found it works much better
if you run a high RF gain level (and low THRESHOLD value) in those
circumstances.

YMMV ... Grant/NQ5T