[Orion] Orion II n blanker

To: orion@contesting.com
Subject: [Orion] Orion II n blanker
From: Chip Angle <chip@anglelinear.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 12:52:37 -0800
Hiya,

Having had my Orion II for better than a week now and having run it
through many tests:

The hardware blanker works fine as like most blanker that work it
produces distortion.  It blanks fine on power zap and arcing.
Observe the spectrum scope and you will see a pretty good reduction
of the noise in many cases with both the hardware and software
blankers.

I run an out board homebrew hi level 6 meter transverter and suffer
from extreeme power line interference 110% of the time.  I always run
my FT1000D blanker at 100%.  This blanker works as good as the
FT1000d blanker so far and that's about as good as they get.  Keep in
mind that no blanker is perfect especially in such narrow bandwidths.
The absolute best noise blanker I ever used was an old RCA blanker
converted to 28 MHz.  It was 700 kHz wide and there are very few
bands left today where you have power zap and can run 700 kHz of
blanker bandwidth  (none) and we don't have radars nor power zap on
xband.

73  Chip N6CA