Re: [Orion] V2.059d Vs. v1.373b5 Noise Reduction Code + Myexperiences wi

To: k2xx@swva.net
Subject: Re: [Orion] V2.059d Vs. v1.373b5 Noise Reduction Code + Myexperiences with 1.373b5
From: Joe Giacobello <k2xx@swva.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 13:12:01 -0400
Bill, I just wanted to let you and the list know that I had a chance to
check out your procedure for RF gain, etc. adjustment this weekend on FW
1.373b5.  There was a vast improvement in performance, although I didn't
spend as much time as I wanted to with it, and I'm still evaluating.

I wound up using 18 dB of attenuation and the RF gain at 60-80 with a
threshold of 1.02 uV on 30 and 40M CW.  When I invoked the NR, the noise
(gain) did increase, but readjusting the RF gain got it back under
control.  I haven't really checked the settings out on very weak sigs,
etc, but there's no doubt that a vast improvement was obtained.

I did have to do a master reset (after the initial reset after loading
the new FW) when I lost all output power.  Others have reported similar
glitches with 1.37x FW.  I had occasionally observed power output, mike
gain or audio output losses with 1.37x myself.

Another issue:  If the NR works by narrowing the receive bandwidth in a
manner similar to manually reducing selectivity of the filters (I
presume that the NR uses different algorithms for CW and SSB.), why have
an NR at all except for its automatic feature?   Interestingly, I had
reported that FW 2.059d seem to clip the signals when using NR at a "1"
setting.  However, I also noted that the clipping could be minimized by
very carefully centering the sig in the passband, which seems to support
the argument that NR works by reducing BW.  OTOH, with weak sigs no
amount of centering helps.

73 and thanks for your help.

Joe
K2XX