[TenTec] ORION II ANT 2 CONNECTOR XMIT (SWITCHING)

To: <tentec@contesting.com>, <orion@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] ORION II ANT 2 CONNECTOR XMIT (SWITCHING)
From: "Harry van Enckevort" <Harry.van.Enckevort@tiscali.nl>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 14:28:04 +0200
Hello all,
I have had an Orion II fer abt 6 months now which however is not yet in
a final (contesting/DX) set up.
Antenna  connector 2 has not been used yet fer diversity/normal
operation es so far is not in use..
Obviously I checked xmit on that connector when I got the rig on output
in a dummy load/antenna which works normal.

Early this year though I COINCIDENTALLY  discovered that when changing
ANY AUDIO  SETTING when TX on ANT 2 the rig first switches fer less than
a second to ANT 1 es then transmits normally on ANT 2. (relay click is
loud!)
It happens regardless the changes on Left, Right, Spkr or BinRX es
regardless the VFO (A or B).
Fer less than a second there is (full) output on a dummy load/tuner
meter connected to Ant 1 !
The relay click is also present when TX is OFF

A "workaround" is when going to Ant 2 and for whatever reason  I wud
change an Aud setting (DX > L/R Main<>Sub!!) when using that connector
first activiate Ant 1 es then switch back to Ant 2 fer transmitting. As
long as the AUDIO settings are not changed I can switch between Ant 1 es
Ant 2 as normal
I am an experienced Orion user (using Orion 1 since sept 2003) es have
been on this reflector since march 2003 but  cannot remember having seen
this being reported before. .

And YES  I tried all Ant settings in the TX menu es YES I know there was
a post from Carl Moreshi a couple of months ago which was relating to a
relay fer Ant 1 es Ant 2 but NOT related to changes in AUDIO settings.
(believe and correct me when necessary)
Re loading prevous firmware version did not help.

Anyone exprecienced this ?
Any comments/suggestions ?

Harry
PA3ARM@arrl.net