Propagation

[Propagation] VHF Tropo and Global Warming

To: "a Propagation Reflector" <propagation@contesting.com>
Subject: [Propagation] VHF Tropo and Global Warming
From: "Thomas Giella KN4LF" <kn4lf@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 11:43:43 -0500
Graham G3TCT Said: I had a look at this website, and I have a couple of
problems with it.

Thomas KN4LF Says: That's okay with me. Even if you still believe in man
induced harmful global warming and ozone depletion after visiting my website
at
http://www.kn4lf.com/kn4lf42.htm at least you left with some food for
thought. Most people just accept the global warming and ozone depletion
hypothesis without any
objective thinking. It's a worker bee thing.

Graham G3TCT Said: First of all, meteorologists have predicted that as
global temperatures rise, we can expect more extreme weather conditions,
both hotter summers and cooler winters. So the examples given (of severe
winter conditions) don't contradict but actually support the global warming
hypothesis.

Thomas KN4LF Says: How convenient to invent an hypothesis that declares that
whether we see extremes of warming or cooling in the interim, it's proof
that the predication of harmful man induced global warming is correct. You
can't lose using that angle.

Graham G3TCT Said: The second problem concerns global CO2 levels, not
mentioned on this website. These have risen considerably, as measured
(amongst others) by US scientists in Hawaii. If man isn't responsible for
this, I wonder what is. (?)

Thomas KN4LF Says: Man has contributed to the rise in CO2 levels but it
pales in comparison to mother nature in the form of animals belching and
defecating, as well as volcanic eruptions. Mt. St. Helens is spewing
tremendous amounts of CO2 into the atmosphere daily, even though it has not
let loose with another great eruption. Even the earthquake and Tsunami in
the Indian Ocean on December 26, 2004 release copious amounts of CO2. Though
the increase in CO2 may induce global warming in the short term, it actually
triggers global cooling in the long run due to increased cloudiness and
precipitation.

Graham G3TCT Says: Whilst I can't comment on the motives of scientists doing
this research, I can see that there will be real problems for business and
politics if we are to address it properly. Making disparaging comments on
the work of other scientists isn't going to help resolve the issue.

Thomas KN4LF Says: I was simply pointing out the real issue behind research
on ozone depletion and global warming, it being $$$, always follow the $$$
trail to get to the truth. It's normal for scientists to disparage each
other, it's called peer review. I seem to remember that the gentleman from
Scandinavia that first suggested the concept of moving tectonic plates and
continental drift suffered withering criticism only to later be proven
correct. The guy that declared that the Earth was not flat took a real
beating too.

Graham Kimbell G3TCT Said: PS sorry this is rather off-topic, but I can't
let the comments rest unchallenged.

Thomas KN4LF Says: Yes sorry to go off topic too. The only reason that I
brought up global warming in the first place was to demonstrate that if
global warming was indeed occurring it would increase VHF tropo conditions
due to expanding subsident warm high pressure over colder ocean water
temperature.

73 & GUD DX,
Thomas F. Giella, KN4LF
Retired Space & Atmospheric Weather Forecaster
Plant City, FL, USA
Grid Square EL87WX
Lat & Long 27 58 33.6397 N 82 09 52.4052 W
kn4lf@arrl.net

Contesting Propagation eReflector:
HC-DX Propagation Channel:
http://www.hard-core-dx.com/index.php?topic=Propagation
KN4LF Daily Solar Space Weather & Geomagnetic Data Archive:
http://www.kn4lf.com/kn4lf5.htm
KN4LF Daily LF/MF/HF Radio Propagation Outlook:
http://www.kn4lf.com/kn4lf6.htm
KN4LF HF/MF Radio Propagation Theory Notes: http://www.kn4lf.com/kn4lf8.htm
KN4LF Amateur & SWL Radio History: http://www.kn4lf.com/index.htm

SWFWMD Rainfall Observer #574
NWS Tampa Bay, FL SKYWARN Observer #HIL-249

Plant City, FL NWS CWOP Weather Station #AR692 Live Data:
http://www.kn4lf.com/index.html
Plant City, FL Daily Climatological Weather Data Archive:
http://www.kn4lf.com/kn4lf22.htm
Florida Daily Weather Discussion: http://www.kn4lf.com/flwx1.htm
Global Warming Refuted: http://www.kn4lf.com/kn4lf42.htm