RFI

[RFI] Another Ford question: 1994 Escort

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Another Ford question: 1994 Escort
From: Tom Norris <badger@telalink.net> (Tom Norris)
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 1998 17:08:20 -0600
Any tricks to getting the broadband noise out of the Escort with the engine
running?
My Escort has S9+ noise with the engine running. Grounding the engine to
frame, hood
to firewall, tailpipe to frame helped a great deal with the "impulse"
noise, though I still
hear it. Will bypassing the fuel pump and sender lines help? I think these
are pretty easy
to get to - under the back seat, just have not gotten to it yet to try. Any
other suggestions
on making this car HF friendly ( with it running ) ??

As far as interfering with the engine management system or airbag system, I
have the cables
routed way away from any existing wiring harnesses. When transmitting at
the 25 watt level
( Racal Syncal ) I had no problem with either, but should I be afraid to
install a higher power
unit, such as an Alinco DX-70T, or an amp for the Racal? The antenna is
mounted in the very
rear left corner of the vehicle as high as I could get it.

Thanks

Tom Norris KA4RKT
badger@telalink.net

WWW:                      http://www.contesting.com/rfi-faq.html