RFI

[RFI] Mystery Noise

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Mystery Noise
From: Jim Idelson <jimi@designet.com> (Jim Idelson)
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 12:56:26 -0400
A couple of weeks ago I finished installing a new tower and tribander.
I've been doing a fair amount of operating since then.

Last night I was on the air, and got blasted out by electrical
noise. This was on 15 meters. After some investigation, I found the
noise obliterated 10, 15 and 20 meters. More interesting, though, was
the fact that the noise appears to be emanating from the home of the
neighbor who was most opposed to my application for tower permit. It
is loudest when the antenna is pointed at them. This is in the 330 to
360 [NNW] direction. Not good for running JAs. It comes and goes.
Last night it was there for almost an hour, then intermittently for 20
seconds at a time. No repeatable pattern. Sounds like it might be a
noisy motor or flourescent light fixture.

Before I go over and try to convince these people that they should
permit me to snoop around their house for the noise, I want to get
some good ideas on where to look. Any suggestions? What kind of
appliance could this be? Any ideas on other things I can do from a
distance to be better prepared for this?

Thanks,

Jim K1IR

The Information Resource for Conferencing Professionals
James S. Idelson
President
DesigNET International, Inc.
96 Morse Road