RFI

[RFI] Toroid Type?

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Toroid Type?
From: David G. Henderson" <daveh@erie.net (David G. Henderson)
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 18:02:30 -0400
On 25 Sep 99, at 15:34, Larry Burke WI5A <lburke@wt.net> wrote:

> I thought I used to have a color code guide for
> one of the more popular manufacturers, but don't seem to afterall. Can
> anyone tell me what material this might be?
>
> Larry WI5A

Here you go.  From the ARRL Handbook.  Save this to a file. Massage
the tabs to get things to line up.  Print out in landscape format on
your printer.

Magnetic Properties Iron Powder Cores
Mix     Color   Material                                µ       Temp    f (MHz)
Notes
                                stability
                                (ppm/°C)

26      Yellow/white    Hydrogen reduced        75      825     dc - 1  Used
for EMI filters and dc chokes
 3      Gray                    Carbonyl HP             35      370     0.05 -
0.50             Excellent stability, good Q for lower frequencies
15      Red/white               Carbonyl GS6    25      190     0.10 - 2
Excellent stability, good Q
 1      Blue                    Carbonyl C              20      280     0.50 -
5                Similar to Mix-3, but better stability
 2      Red                     Carbonyl E              10       95     2 - 30
        High Q material
 7      White                   Carbonyl TH             9        30     3 - 35
        Similar to Mix-2 and Mix-6, but better temperature  stability
 6      Yellow          Carbonyl SF             8        35     10 - 50
Very good Q and temp. stability for 20-50 MHz
10      Black                   Powdered iron W 6       150     30 - 100
Good Q and stability for 40 - 100 MHz
12      Green/white             Synthetic oxide 4       170     50 - 200
Good Q, moderate temperature stability
17      Blue/yellow             Carbonyl                4        50     40 -
180                Similar to Mix-12, better temperature stability, Q drops
about 10% above 50 MHz, 20% above 100 MHz

0       Tan                     phenolic                1        0      100 -
300               Inductance may vary greatly with winding technique
73, Dave, N3EOY
mailto:daveh@erie.net

WWW:                      http://www.contesting.com/rfi-faq.html