RFI

[RFI] DSL modem problem

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] DSL modem problem
From: Michael D. Brown" <mdbrown@iquest.net (Michael D. Brown)
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 00:16:43 -0500
Thanks for the replys Ernie and John.

I am evidently coming in via the phone line itself.
I am actually getting into two DSL modems, my
own, and my son's next door.  We have tried
the plug in filters availabe from the phone
company, and they do work at stopping the
RFI.  In my son's case however, the filter drops
his download speed from around 30kb to 8kb.
I have the lower speed account, and I can't
get any data to pass once a filter is put in
place here at my house.

I'm getting into both modems running 100 watts
on 80-10 meters. I don't have an antenna up
for 160 right now.  I'm using a TH3 and inv
vees for 40 and 80. The tower is 40ft, so the
beam is at 40ft, and the inv vees just below
that.

I've tried ferrites on the cable from the jack to
the modem. No luck there. One thing I can
try I guess would be to put more ferrites on
my son's modem.  This is really more of a
problem of me bothering his then it is my own.
If I'm on the hf rig, then I'm not on the internet
anyway at that moment.

We probably don't have the best phone lines
in this neighborhood. Most of the houses were
built in the early 60's.

Thanks...   73

Mike