RFI

[RFI] RFI Troubles

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] RFI Troubles
From: Hare,Ed, W1RFI" <w1rfi@arrl.org (Hare,Ed, W1RFI)
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 18:48:23 -0500
Hello, Gerry,

> and my neighbor there has been complaing about RFI
> from my HF rig. His main complaint is that I'm coming > through the
speakers on his computer.

One first good step for you and your neibhbor to take is for you to both
understand the differences between RFI caused by rules violations at your
station and that caused by the inability of some (most?) consumer equipment
to function properly in the presence of strong radio signals.  The FCC
requires you to correct interference to other radio services caused by rules
violations at your station, but the FCC rules do not address "fundamental
overload" of non-radio equipment. The latter is really a local problem.  In
most cases, a ham may want to help out, but this becomes a matter of your
helping your neighbor find a solution.

In the case of interference to non-radio devices, the FCC RFI material is
pretty clear -- the device is improperly functioning as a radio receiver.
This suggests that the cure in that case would be to apply the necessary
filtering and/or shielding to the affected equipment.

ARRL publishes a pamphlet jointly with the Consumer Electronics Association.
It is available at:

http://204.245.190.45/tech_ed_and_training/resources/67-12005.cfm

The FCC information about RFI is also valuable. See:

http://www.fcc.gov/cib/Public_Notices/heee1.html

I also recommend ARRL's general info about RFI at:

http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/rfigen.html.

Start by reading the info to give yourself a good understanding of the
problem, then print a copy of the pamphlet and the FCC material and give it
to your neighbor. RFI problems sometimes get rather "heated," and this will
give things a chance to calm down. You should also correct any RFI problems
to your own equipment.  It will really help your neighbor understand that if
your own computer works well, the problem must be on his end.  Once you have
done so, it is time to talk things over with your neighbor.

Start this conversation by explaining that interference to other radio
services can be caused by problems at your station and that the FCC requires
you to operate your station legally.  Your neighbor will be listening at
this point because you are telling him or her what YOU need to do.  You can
then explain that you have put the necessary filters on your transmitter
(get a filter for your transmitter and install it, whether you need it or
not.  You can then point to it with pride.)

Next, you can show him your station (clean it up first!) and the filters you
have put onto your own equipment.  This helps him understand that the
problem is on his end and that the cures you suggest will do no harm.

Then, explain that you have checked your station throroughly.  Point out
that the FCC's material identifies that for interference to non-radio
devices (their material specifically names computers), the cure must be
applied to the computer.  At this point, I suggest that you let your
neighbor know that even if the interference is not caused directly by your
station, you would like to be a good neighbor and help him find a cure.
This usually keeps him talking.

Interference to computer speakers is generally an audio problem.  For
completeness, see:

http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/rficomp.html
http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/rfiaudio.html

The cure will usually involve common-mode chokes.  For computers, obtain
about a half dozen F-140-43 ferrite cores.  For larger wires, you may need
the F-240-43 size.  For HF, you need some inductance to make a good
common-mode choke, so don't substitute those handy clamp-on ferrite beads.
You will need about 10 turns of wire on the choke.  Some computer speakers
are amplified.  This generally requires that you put a ferrite on the end of
each of the speaker wires connected to the computer and at the speaker end,
as well.  Most of the computer speakers "daisy chain" from one speaker to
another.  The speaker may have an ac "wall cube" power supply. In that case,
might be worth trying a core on the power supply lead, right at the speaker.

These cores are available from Palomar and other distributors. See
http://www.arrl.org/tis/tisfind.html to look up addresses, phone numbers and
web sites.

This quick email is an overview.  Go through the more detailed ARRL and FCC
material.  I also recommend the ARRL RFI Book
(http://www.arrl.org/catalog/6834) for more info yet.

Good luck.

73,
Ed Hare, W1RFI