RFI

[RFI] High Freq Baby Monitors and a few other tidbits

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] High Freq Baby Monitors and a few other tidbits
From: Mike A. King - KM0T" <scsueepe@mtcnet.net (Mike A. King - KM0T)
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 10:45:56 -0500
Hi,

Yes I was on 6M, with a vengence I might add.

I do know that one of the neighbors has a 900 mhz unit, I cream that thing
on every band. (Especially on 900 Mhz!)  As well as a few other on 49 Mhz
the other way to the other neighbors house.

I did some reading last night and it does not look like that 900 Mhz units
are part 15, they are in "shared spectrum" on a secondary basis maybe.  Can
anyone confirm this?

Now,  I also looked for 2.4 Ghz units, but all I can find is video/audio and
a tv set combinaton.  Thats spendy, about $180.  Anyone know of a 2.4 Ghz
unit that is just audio only?

Also, anyone have any leads on a inexpensive wire intercom, this particular
neighbor is one of my business partners, so he is working with me as best he
can without upsetting his XYL.  Thats where the real pressure is coming
from.

Onto another subject..

Now I hear from another neighbor that I am getting into their "subwoofer"
for their home entertainment center.

I put ferrites on the power cable and signal cable.  Turned the antenna
towards them and fired it up, no interference on 6M, 2M, 222 and 432 Mhz.
(No HF here)   I then cranked the tower down 10' (have a crankup tower)
Which is where I run it most of the time unless contesting, big duct opens,
aurora etc.  I then again am getting into it.

It seems to be a proximity issue now that the main lobes from the yagis are
more into the house.  (Keep in mind, no KWs here, just brick amps - 400
watts max on 6 and 2, less on the higher bands)

I have 3 cores on the power cable, will more actually do better, or does it
now sound like Im getting into the amp inside the enclosure of the powered
subwoofer.

I spoke with them about how the manufactuer needs to be contacted for a
possible solution.  Boy did the "deer in the headlight stare" sure came
back.  They are not happy about it.  I myself am not about to open that
thing up.  I saw somewhere where there were long ferrite rods, seems to me
that would do better (and easier to get more winds around it)  Where is the
best place to get those?

Any thoughts?

Mike - KM0T NW Iowa

--