RFI

[RFI] CNN.com - Internet access via power lines reborn in Europe- August

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] CNN.com - Internet access via power lines reborn in Europe- August 28, 2001
From: dgsvetan@rockwellcollins.com (dgsvetan@rockwellcollins.com)
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 15:04:49 -0500
A careful reading of the article does say that the transistion to
conventional cable does occur at the local sub-station.  It has been many
years since I have been in Europe, but I do recall that the power
distribution, especially in residential areas, was via neighborhood
sub-station.  (One large step-down xfmr feeds several, perhaps dozens of,
houses.)  Perhaps some of the European members could confirm or update that
observation.  At any rate, the gist of what I understand is that the
"service" uses only the 220/240 V wiring and NOT the high tension lines for
propagating the Internet signal to/from homes.  That still leaves a lot of
antenna out there!

Here, of course, a single step-down xfmr feeds anywhere from just one house
to perhaps a maximum of 6 or 8 (condo units and/or apartments excepted).
So, many more transistions to cable would be needed in the US, making such
a network much more costly.  Still, it is amazing, as WA2BPE notes, to see
the total write-off of interference and tapping/privacy issues.

73, Dale
WA9ENA

WA2BPE <wa2bpe@exotrope.net>@contesting.com on 08/31/2001 02:34:45 PM

Sent by:  rfi-admin@contesting.com