RFI

[RFI] Filtered connectors for video cable

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Filtered connectors for video cable
From: n7cl@mmsi.com (Eric Gustafson guest account)
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 13:12:02 -0700
Hi Pete,

I'd go ahead and make the sniffer...

Are the monitor and computer powered from the same wall socket?
The physical separation of the monitor from the computer is not a
good idea from an RFI standpoint.  But I suspect this
circumstance is merely making the "real" problem worse.  Ideally,
the units should be near one another and powered from the same
power strip to avoid efficiently coupling circulating RF currents
into the house power wiring.

The worst possible scenario is a large physical separation with a
video cable whose shield integrity is not maintained and a power
distribution system that has power arriving at the monitor via a
separate circuit than the one by which it arrives at the computer
(separate wall outlet is bad enough but separate circuit -
sheesh!).

By shield integrity, I mean that the shield fully encloses all
the wiring all the way from (metal) panel to panel.  Connectors
that terminate the shield to the shell by a single wire
connection rather than having the shield bonded all the way
around the shell (and fully enclosing all the signal wires) do
not count.  These devices are more properly described as "antenna
feedpoint" than as shielded connector.

Two cables in series are a bit dangerous but not necessarily a
fatal flaw _IF_ both cables are properly constructed as per above
_AND_ the shield integrity is maintained where they plug together
(and where they connect to the equipment - don't forget to
tighten up the jack screws).

Unforunately, many computer store aftermarket cables are not well
constructed.  So if you do determine that you have a video cable
shield integrity problem (using your sniffer), you will need to
do a bit of shopping for a well made cable.  Companies like "Black
Box" and others have the capability to make good cables and
identify them as such.  If you have to go to that trouble, you
may as well get a single cable that is long enough to do the job.

Most (but not all) of the cables I've gotten with monitors or
computer systems from the big players have been correctly made.

Good luck!

73, Eric  N7CL

To: <rfi@contesting.com>