RFI

[RFI] AC line data rfi?

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] AC line data rfi?
From: k5uj@hotmail.com (Rob Atkinson, K5UJ)
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 14:15:53 +0000
Hi everyone:

This morning I was getting ready for work and turned on the radio in my
bathroom.  Mixed in with the signal from WGN (720 Khz, 50 kw omni clear 1A)
whose tower is about oh, 20-25 miles away was the unmistakable sound of
modulated data.  Uh oh.  Heard it on the radio in my kitchen too, but not on
a battery operated radio--only the ones that plug in to ac service.  Tuned
around but only heard it on WGN's sig.  At work I was informed that you can
get these home computer intranets that allow you to network your computers
at home via your house ac wiring.  Could it be that a neighbor has one of
these and it's gg out and mixing with the 720 khz sig. in the IFs?  It's not
real loud but I'm a regular WGN listener and having data in the background
is somewhat irritating but also I'm wondering where else it will show up.
Is there a fix?  Line filter everything?  W3NQNs?  Tnx for advice & 73

Rob Atkinson
K5UJ
k5uj@hotmail.com