RFI

[RFI] Shielding

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Shielding
From: Ian White, G3SEK" <g3sek@ifwtech.co.uk (Ian White, G3SEK)
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 17:30:18 +0000
Bill Turner wrote:

>Too bad we can't see RF.  Would make things lots easier.  :-)

In transmitter RFI situations, we almost *can* see the RF, using a
clip-on RF current meter.

With it, you can see which cables have RF currents on them, and roughly
how much. Without it, you really are totally blind and guessing.

It's the most useful tool I know for RFI investigations. There's a
design on my web site, using a simple split ferrite core... and wasn't
there something in QST recently too?

For low-level RFI investigations, a clip-on transformer probe (just a
small winding on a split core) feeding into a well-shielded portable RX
should be pretty effective too. At least it lets you hear the signals
and see the S-meter.

--
73 from Ian G3SEK         'In Practice' columnist for RadCom (RSGB)
                            Editor, 'The VHF/UHF DX Book'