RFI

[RFI] Tough to solve TVI problem

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Tough to solve TVI problem
From: kelly at thejohnsons.ws (N6KJ)
Date: Thu Jun 5 20:14:16 2003
I have a 10 year old Mitsubishi 35" CRT TV, model number CS-35201.
I am getting TVI on both 40 and 80 meters.  Both dipoles are about 30 feet
above the TV.  On 40 meters, I get interference with as little as 5 watts
TX output.  On 80 meters, I get interference with as little as about 20 watts.
The rig is clean and has a low pass filter on the output.  The TV has an AC
line filter and ferrite beads on all inputs.  I get interference on all
channels regardless of input source (satellite rcvr, DVD, VCR) or input
jack (S-Video or 75 ohm rf input).  Normally, I only use the S-Video input.
I have tried grounding the rig to an 8 ft. long ground rod and leaving it
floating and there's no change.  The rig should be clean.  It is an
FT-1000MP and just came back from Yaesu service with a clean bill of heatlh.
As best I can tell, the interference is
coming right through the chassis and getting into the video circuitry.

Does anyone know of any particular issues with Mitsubishi or this particular
model?  Any suggestions of what to try next?  I can't even get a service
technician to work on this.  I've called several service technicians and they
insist there's nothing they can do about it.  Mitsubish won't acknowledge that
it could be a TV problem either.

Has anyone found a TV manufacturer that manufacturers "clean" tv's and/or
understands these types of issues?  I'll make a more informed choice next
time around :-)