RFI

RE: [RFI] Metricom?

To: jimjarvis@ieee.org
Subject: RE: [RFI] Metricom?
From: dj2001@mn.rr.com
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 11:31:40 -0600
Jim,

I don't know what the problem was as far as the company was concerned. There were a couple of postings that did touch on that.

BPL will have a tough time making it here in this city because of the cable broadband. it's tough to beat, I know I wouldent change even for less money/per month. Maybe in rual areas it could have a better chance, but it would have to be cheap, almost like a dial-up. We have some pretty economical thinking folks out there in rual areas and they arent going to fritter their hard earned money away for this stuff. I think the power companies know that at least around here.

73
Dale, K9VUJ

Got it, Dale.

I thought that was the case...but was interested in
the Metricom situation, from a business perspective.

As in...here's an example of a broadband distribution
technology which did NOT work.  Is it more or less
capital intense than BPL?  What were the underlying
reasons for its failure, etc.

N2EA jimjarvis@ieee.org

Looks like some confusion here. No connection with Metricom and the power company except the boxes are mounted on the street lights.

We were discussing two different systems.  One is the Metricom which
was intended as a wireless hookup to the internet that failed at
least here in my town.  The company went BR.

The other box we were discussing is a system which the power company
uses to remotely read the electric meters.  The two are not the same.

No other issues as to RFI ect, just a matter of interest and enlightenment.

73
Dale, K9VUJ