RFI

Re: [RFI] WSJ-BPL

To: <jimjarvis@ieee.org>, <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] WSJ-BPL
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 13:32:59 -0500
> I spoke with Ken Brown, the reporter who wrote the WSJ piece,
> yesterday.  Although he works in the WSJ's technology section,
> he freely admits he's not technical.  He also pointed out that
> he hadn't seen my email because he'd received over 150 mails from
> amateur radio operators, and was considering changing his policy
> of replying to all mail.

That's the problem with mass complaints. A large number of complaints don't
mean nearly as much as one communication on a topic. I'd guess that most
complaints aren't very accurate or well written.

All of this makes us look like a selfish angry mob.

Hopefully we can reverse the tendency to do mass complaints about our
radios, and focus more attention on how BPL bothers ALL services and is a
bad investment for technical reasons.

Hams not liking it means almost nothing. The fact it could replaced with
less expensive and more reliable systems, that it is a poor investment, and
that it bothers public safety means a great deal more. One thing I don't see
mentioned is the possible lack of security of BPL systems. All that data
radiating for miles!! Seems to me a seed could be planted in that area.

73 Tom