RFI

Re: [RFI] Ferrite Loops

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Ferrite Loops
From: rrath@charter.net
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 10:02:24 -0700
I will have the MFJ 704 LP Filter inline, I thought I should go one
step further and put some beads on the transmit coax. In hope of
stoppping any RF on the sheild of the coax. I am using double
braided coax. Maybe I should get on E-bay and buy 2 bags of the
100 count split beads for tv caox and give them to the other rv'ers
that receive any TVI and call it good? hi hi.

Rod kc7vqr

One point that was lost in the excellent discussion about
determining
ferrite mix is that ferrite beads on the transmitter coax is highly
unlikely
to have any effect on received RFI.  (Unless I missed Rod's point, I
am
assuming that he is talking about putting beads on the coax to the
transmit
antenna in his RV.)

Rod - you need a Low-Pass Filter (the MFJ-704) at your
transceiver's output
and a High-Pass Filter (RadioShack 15-579) in the coax at the TV
input.
Beads on the outside of your transmitting coax may help keep RF
from flowing
on the outside of the cable shield, but they won't help if your TV is
receiving a harmonic of the transmitted signal or if it's just simply
overloaded (most likely).

73, Ward N0AX