RFI

Re: [RFI] BPL - "no business case . . ."

To: rogerh@internode.on.net, rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] BPL - "no business case . . ."
From: Bill NY9H <ny9h@arrl.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 10:51:31 -0500
good article  looks independent....
so I sent a note with that article to my congressman....
bill
At 03:43 AM 10/17/2004, Roger Harrison wrote:

BPL BUSINESS CASE A STILLBIRTH - INDUSTRY ANALYSTS

The US-based TechNewsWorld website ran a followup story to the FCC's 15th October announcement on rules for broadband over powerline.

The story carries quotes from two of the world's heavyweight industry analyst firms, Meta Group and Frost & Sullivan. Try these for size:

Meta Group senior analyst David Willis said although the FCC initiative to breed more competition into the U.S. broadband market may have its merits, the power line broadband effort is unlikely to do so. "It's hard to make a business case," Willis told TechNewsWorld.

Frost & Sullivan industry analyst Imran Khan told TechNewsWorld . . . "They could maybe expand the [broadband] capabilities in rural markets, but they're not big enough to make it worthwhile," Khan said.

Both Willis and Khan said that broader, faster wireless broadband technologies are much more likely than BPL to serve the market segments that cable and DSL currently do not reach.

See "FCC Tries To Jolt Life into Power Line Broadband" at:
http://www.technewsworld.com/story/37378.html

Roger Harrison VK2ZRH