RFI

Re: [RFI] Any LM338 Regulator RFI?

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Any LM338 Regulator RFI?
From: Tim Groat <tcgroat@mesanetworks.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 19:05:30 -0700
The LM338 is a linear regulator so it won't be a noise generator if it's
stable. Use proper RF bypassing to prevent oscillation, taking care to keep
the bypass cap leads leads short.

The same bypass caps will also help keep transmitter RF out of the
regulator. I've had a power supply go out of regulation when transmitting
because of RF pickup even at QRP power levels. Adding bypass caps on the
power supply's input and output leads cured the problem.

73,
--Tim (KR0U)