RFI

Re: [RFI] 12vdc native laptop

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] 12vdc native laptop
From: "FoMoCo EMC" <fomoco_emc@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 15:18:24 -0400
When testing with the Grundig radio keep in mind that what you may find to
be objectionable may disappear by the time you have moved away the distance
equal to where your HF antenna may be mounted.  So you may be chasing an
issue that doesn't exist.

I am not promoting a specific manufacturer but we found a Power Bright
APS-600 12VDC to 120 VAC pure sine inverter that works with all of our test
instrumentation.

http://www.powerbright.com/puresine_inverters.html

I haven't seen a 12V laptop  since the 386 days.  Compaq had some a few
years ago that would run on 12 volts but wouldn't charge the batteries and
they didn't broadcast that feature either.  The quietest way to power the
laptop is to get the laptop manufacturers DC to DC cube that takes 12V to
18.5V.  This eliminates the noise from a square wave inverter and the
laptop's power cube and actually runs quieter.

I would expect more noise from a hardwired NIC than from an 802.11x wireless
LAN which operates in the 2.5 GHz range.

Were you refering to no difference in noise between AC and battery powered
for the laptop or the Grundig radio?