RFI

Re: [RFI] Winding RG-6 around a toroid

To: "'Kelly Johnson'" <n6kj.kelly@gmail.com>, <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Winding RG-6 around a toroid
From: "Stu Benner" <w3stu@myactv.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 22:52:05 -0400
The impedance introduced on the outside of the shield by wrapping the coax
around the toroid will have no effect on the desired signal *inside* the
coax. If you were too aggressive with the installation of the toroid and
violated the bend radius of the coax, you may have caused some of the damage
that you described. However, it's unlikely that the resulting mismatch loss
would be enough to result in a "bad signal" - significant damage would
likely be required to do this.

Replace the suspect RG-6 run with a known good run of cable first.

Regards,
Stu Benner
W3STU
www.emcwizard.com