RFI

Re: [RFI] Low voltage lighting solid state "transformers"

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Low voltage lighting solid state "transformers"
From: Tim Groat <tcgroat@mesanetworks.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 18:30:36 -0700
I have seen that, too. It has been quite common in low-end computer power
supplies, as documented many tears back by W0UN. The same PC cards will be
found in many "no-name" power supplies. The parts probably were in place to
get an approval, then deleted to lower costs. I've also seen ones where the
card was obviously designed to hold high voltage "Y2" disk capacitors with
proper safety approvals, and much smaller, non-UL-approved, low cost caps
were installed instead. I suspect that as soon as one "brand" would be
pulled from the market, the same design re-appeared under a different name.

As for part 18 vs. Part 15, it makes no difference at HF amateur
frequencies for *consumer* lighting equipment. The HF limits are identical
outside of the designated ISM bands (based on the 1997 copy of Part 18 I
have on hand): 250uV maximum in a 9kHz bandwidth. Unfortunately, 250uV
still has a lot of interference potential (-61dBm at 50 ohms).

--Tim (KR0U)