RFI

Re: [RFI] All band handheld receivers

To: cdoneal@comcast.net, k4kyv@hotmail.com, rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] All band handheld receivers
From: Jimk8mr@aol.com
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 19:42:10 EST
I also use an Icom IC-R10, and have had some good results.

I have attached an old gutter clip mount to the rear rack on an old  bicycle,
and with a 2 meter 5/8 wave antenna have found the combination to be
sensitive enough on all the HF bands through 2 meters.

I use the radio's belt clip to hold it in a handlebar bag, with memories
programmed for AM and SSB (separate sets) on each band 80 though 432. I can
then
easily QSY between bands, starting on the lower ones and working up as I get
closer to a noise source.

I also carry a small (6 element) 432/440 yagi, so when I get within a  couple
of poles I can stop, point and listen. (I listen via a small  earpiece).

I have been successful locating a number of noise sources with this setup.
It is also interesting to note which passing cars have high ignition  noise.

On six meters, I happen to have 50.125 programmed in.  Once, chasing  line
noise during a contest weekend, I heard voices instead of noise, so I  headed
right home and worked the opening in the contest.

Unfortunately this setup is somewhat inconvenient at this time of year  in
Cleveland. However a lot of the noise now is related to salt on power line
equipment, which is something that will have to be fixed by rain, not the power

company.

73  -  Jim  K8MR