RFI

Re: [RFI] Power cable & Vehicle Grounding

To: kd4e@verizon.net
Subject: Re: [RFI] Power cable & Vehicle Grounding
From: dgsvetan@rockwellcollins.com
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 16:45:23 -0500
Doc,

You definitely want to avoid any direct contact between copper and
aluminum.  Otherwise, coating connections with with any of a variety of
materials, including the anti-corrosion compound sold for battery
terminals, will improve useful life in bad environments.

Tinned copper braid does a good job of bonding metal parts, but if not
protected from the weather and corrosive materials (such as road salt in
cold climate regions), it deteriorates pretty quickly.  If you need to
bond to the exhaust pipe to reduce rfi from the ignition system, stainless
steel hose clamps work well to secure brass or tinned copper straps to the
pipe, but be sure to sand the pipe first to remove surface oxidation and
other contaminatants.

Best luck with your project.

73, Dale
WA9ENA

kd4e <kd4e@verizon.net>
Sent by: rfi-bounces@contesting.com
05/14/2007 12:31 PM
Please respond to
kd4e@verizon.net

FT-857@yahoogroups.com, RFI List <rfi@contesting.com>,
tvi-rfi-emi@mailman.qth.net
cc

Subject
Re: [RFI] Power cable & Vehicle Grounding

Has anyone experienced dissimilar-metals troubles
when using copper or other grounding straps and/
or connectors in a vehicle?

--

Thanks! & 73, doc, KD4E
Personal: http://bibleseven.com/kd4e.html