RFI

Re: [RFI] Wireless - ATT U-verse

To: n6pe@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Wireless - ATT U-verse
From: "Martin Ewing" <martin.s.ewing@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 14:00:35 -0500
Rick,

On the basis of following some U-verse lists, but with no direct
experience, the following:

>From the "VRAD" box on the street, I think it would be normal phone
wiring (probably not even twisted pair).  At your house there would be
an outdoor box (a Residential Gateway) that takes the U-verse wires in
on one side and produces on the other side -- digital video signals
(choice of either Cat 5 twisted pair or RG-59 coax, I understand) for
your set top TV boxes and, separately, normal voice phone lines to
connect to your existing house phone wiring.

Check http://tinyurl.com/657hbp for more info.

What the implications would be for ham RFI (inbound or outbound), I
don't have a clue.  U-verse is basically a high-speed form of DSL.  I
have had zero problems with my 6 Mb/s DSL, but U-verse must use higher
frequency signaling that could be more trouble at ham freqs.

I'd like to know how it goes.

73 Martin AA6E

On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 12:20 PM, rick darwicki <n6pe@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am have my PCs and TV converted to ATT U-verse TV and internet. Am I in for
> trouble?
>
> My house phone is a regular line. My other line runs direct to the shack from
> the house block about 35 feet away and is a phone/dsl pair I ran in CAT 5.
>
> Apparently they run fiber optics to the main box close to my house, but I'm
> not sure if they run it into the house. I also don't know if the phone lines
> remain as wires or get connected thru the fiber optics link. I keep the same
> numbers.
>
> I can locate the main box near my TV, about 25 feet from the shack or in the
> shack with the two PCs. I think they can run wireless to the TV, laptop and
> PCs, or run the PCs on Ethernet.
>
> Anyone with experience have any suggestions for best options or things I need
> to be aware of?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rick

Martin Ewing, AA6E