RFI

Re: [RFI] [TenTec] OT Florescent Ballast's

To: Jim Brown K9YC <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] [TenTec] OT Florescent Ballast's
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 21:46:56 -0500

Jim Brown K9YC wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Dec 2008 16:45:32 -0600, CSM\(r\) Gary Huber wrote:
>

>> I was called in to figure out the problem and determined the
>>
> lighting circuits (and the ballasts) were radiating between 150 MHz
>
>> and 500 MHz but were within the FCC limits for that class device.
>> The ballast manufacturer and supplier provided the replacement
>> projectors and remotes rather than fix the problem.
>>

> Can you tell me the "class of device" and exactly what Part of the
> FCC Rules the mfr told you covers it?  The so-called "electronic
> transformers" (actually switching power supplies) that run
> architectural low voltage (12V) lighting have taken over the track
> lighting world. I inherited several in the home I bought when I
> moved to CA three years ago, and they are VERY noisy. Go to an
> electrical supply store to buy a transformer, and that's all they
> have. Not only that, but the lighting fixtures are built in such a
> way that a REAL transformer won't fit, and won't fit in an
> electrical backbox that fits in the ceiling or wall.
>
> This is a VERY big issue looming on the horizon (bigger than BPL by
> a lot), and the ARRL seems to be asleep at the switch. When a
> neighbor installs one of these devices, your enjoyment of ham radio
> is going go downhill fast.

As an intentional radiator they are not allowed to cause interference
and must take any they receive.  The FCC is quite plain about this, but
getting it enforced, or bucking heads with local officials can be
something else.

If you want noise, wait until one of the "not so well designed"
inverters for some solar panels end up close by.  I understand some of
those can be a problem up to nearly a mile away.

73

Roger (K8RI)