RFI

Re: [RFI] Toroids for Common Mode Chokes on CAT5 Cables

To: "RFI List" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Toroids for Common Mode Chokes on CAT5 Cables
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 09:55:48 -0800
On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 08:43:53 -0500, David C. Hallam wrote:

>What is the smallest practical size for a toroid to be used as a choke
>on CAT5 cables?  I have 4 cables and putting one on each end is 8
>toroids.  Looking at the prices I have found, that is about $100 of 2.4"
>toroids.

Depending length of the cable, you may not need chokes on both ends. Check
out my specific recommendations in http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-
Ham.pdf  It depends on frequency/wavelength.

The common 2.4-inch o.d. toroids of #31 material cost less than $5 if
you're buying in quantity as part of a group purchase. Appendix One of the
tutorial above includes advice on how to do that. Minimum size really
comes down to a mechanical issue -- can you get enough turns through it to
achieve the needed impedance at the frequencies of interest. Some clamp-
ons will get you there, but you may need to buy in quantity to get a
reasonable price.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC