RFI

Re: [RFI] 80/160M RFI in neighbor's oven circuitry (PART 2)

To: "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] 80/160M RFI in neighbor's oven circuitry (PART 2)
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2009 09:24:26 -0800
On Sun, 8 Feb 2009 07:56:20 -0800 (PST), Bill and Cindy wrote:

>Thanks for the suggestions!
>
>Adding a good ground system to the neighbor's breaker panel sounds easy enough.

And a complete waste of time. The earth is NOT a sink into which noise and RF
is
poured.

>The microwave/convection oven in question is the usual combination unit about
>half the size of a refrigerator. I pulled mine out of the wall and as
>suspected the
>unit's power cable is entirely in flexible conduit, it is hardwired into the
>house
>electric system. How can I apply snap-on material 31 cores to this? I doubt
>code will allow the wires to be exposed, will the cores be effective if snapped
>around the flexible conduit?

You've described a microwave that is permanently installed. Many microwaves are
not
-- they simply plug into a wall outlet. You cannot apply ferrite cores to the
power
wiring you've described.  To add a choke, an electrician have to interrupt the
wiring, and you'll have to wind a choke with wire rated the use.

Your problem is on 80M. For a ferrite choke to be effective on 80M it must have
multiple turns. Again, study the tutorial.

However -- I would FIRST go with either a capacitor across the line or a
commercial
AC line filter. And yes, do use a capacitor rated for the high voltages that
can
appear across  the line.

Corcom and Delta make good power line filters. Something like a 20ESK6 should
do the
job, but it may not be small enough to fit where it needs to be installed. Go
www.cor.com to see specs and dimensions, then google on a part number to find
them
for sale by industrial electronics distributors.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC