RFI

Re: [RFI] Cell Phone Charger Duracell made in China

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Cell Phone Charger Duracell made in China
From: Peter Laws <plaws@plaws.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2011 14:25:53 -0600
On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 13:03, Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com> wrote:

> One of the most problematic elements of chargers like this is that the
> connector that connects to the cell phone is non-standard and the
> charging voltage and current are unknown. This makes it a bit of a
> challenge to home brew something to replace it.

Mobile manufacturers have decided to standardize on Micro-B USB
connectors.  Since they are also usually the USB connector for the
phone and thus are USB-standard, that pretty much limits it to 5 V dc.
 The USB spec is limited to 0.5 A draw, but that's from a computer,
not a wall wart, so I imagine the phone could draw more from the
wall-wart if that was needed. See, for example,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Serial_Bus#USB_Mini_and_Micro_connectors

When will all manufacturers/models actually ship phones with those
connections, who knows?  But it's in their interest so it probably
won't take too much longer.

I noticed that the Tecsun PL-606 LW/MW/SW/FM rig I just ordered from
China doesn't even come with a wall-wart at all (probably avoids
Customs issues) but has a USB jack for charging/powering.  Hopefully
it's Micro!