RFI

Re: [RFI] Cell Phone Charger Duracell made in China

To: "doc@kd4e.com" <doc@kd4e.com>, "Ed Douglass" <douglass@doorpi.net>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Cell Phone Charger Duracell made in China
From: "Dale Svetanoff" <svetanoff@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 13:37:00 -0600
Guys,

I think the net result will be that differing polarities may go away, but
the point about voltage is well-taken.  However, that's what the working
group has to do.  They'll have to consider the various alternatives and
decide upon connectors that make reverse polarity and wrong voltage nearly
fool proof.  (Note the operative term "nearly".)  The intent is NOT that
all wall warts have the same plug - sorry for the confusion.

Consider: How many different connectors have you got in your shack or house
for "12 VDC" devices?  I know that I've got devices that operate on
voltages as low as 7.5 VDC using the SAME connector (the so-called "barrel"
type) as devices that operate on 9 VDC, 12 VDC, and even 28 VDC.  The
problem already exists!  (BTW: In my example given here, all of those
various voltage devices use the same size barrel connector.  Luckily, I
have some others that use the very small size barrels, but darned few of
those.)

73, Dale
WA9ENA

<svetanoff@earthlink.net>