RFI

Re: [RFI] Across-the-bay line noise from 17 miles away

To: RFI@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Across-the-bay line noise from 17 miles away
From: <donovanf@starpower.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 14:20:26 -0500 (EST)
Rick is precisely correct.

When HF communications was in its heyday, the U.S. Navy NSS transmitter
facility (Annapolis MD) was on the 230 acre Greenbury Point peninsula, nearly
completely surrounded by the Cheaspeake Bay.

http://wikimapia.org/1646679/Naval-Radio-Transmitting-Facility-Annapolis-NSS

On the other hand, the NSS HF receiver station was high in the mountains of
Sugar Grove, WV in what is now the National Radio Quiet Zone. The receiving
antenna was a massive pair of AN/FRD-10 Wullenwebber circularly disposed
antenna arrays (CDAAs) that replaced the much noiser former receiver site in
Cheltenham, MD in 1969.

http://wikimapia.org/#lat=38.5146949&lon=-79.2784166&z=13&l=0&m=b&search=38.5146949n%2C%2079.2784166w

73
Frank