RFI

Re: [RFI] Comcast Wall warts

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Comcast Wall warts
From: K8RI <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 06:57:21 -0400
On 6/21/2011 11:38 AM, Paul Christensen wrote:
>> Yeah, your electric bill may increase by a few cents per month, but the
>> RFI levels
>> will go way down.  Not a bad trade-off in my book.
5 quad core computers running 3.4 gig or faster.  Nearly 10 Terabytes,
Central Air, All fluorescent lighting, new energy efficient windows, and
high efficiency insulation.   Looked into Geo Thermal, but our system is
so efficient the payback would be longer than the life of the system at
about 50 years.  They asked to see our previous years bills as they
couldn't believe we used so little energy.  Installer suggested a
combination system that used outside air and high efficiency gas fired
furnace at about 1/4 the price of a geo thermal system and no mess in
the yard from wells or trenches.   Shop is 38 X 40 with IR heating and
air conditioning. one 16' X 10' insulated door, one 8' X 8' insulated
door, plus one man door. Concrete floor is poured over 1" Styrofoam (TM)
   It costs less to heat and cool than the house.

Note, Trane system offered RFI filtering if it became a problem with PW
fan control which is how they get a good portion of their high
efficiency.  Other system installer said they'd never heard of such a thing.

4 of the computers run 24 X 7.  22 8' 75 watt fluorescent tubes for
light in shop.  They last about 16 months while the 20 some CFLs in the
house are running years.

We got rid of the hot water heaters using tanks and went to gas fired,
"on demand" hot water heaters.  We are going to add one more (small) on
demand hot water heater under the kitchen sink. About half the energy
that goes into tank hot water heaters is used to keep the water hot
after it's been heated.  On demand heaters use less energy and less
water with short runs to bathroom and laundry room.

Expensive but fairly fast payback.
Reinsulating with foam as well as the new energy efficient windows made
a big difference in an home that's roughly 40 years old.

73

Roger (K8RI)