RFI

Re: [RFI] Solar Inverter.

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Solar Inverter.
From: Larry Benko <xxw0qe@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 09:05:20 -0600
Jim,

I am very aware of the pin 1 problem and why you would assume that there
would be common mode current on the green wire.  I also expected that
the green wire should pass through the choke but with the 2 different
grow light ballasts this was not the most effective solution.  Leaving
green wire untouched and having a good common mode choke on the hot and
neutral followed with capacitors to green wire ground was the most
effective filter for these devices.  This was significantly more
effective than putting 8-10 turns of all 3 wires through a large #31
toroid.  Initially we focused on 40m since that was the worst band for
the interference.

I can only report what has been successful for several high power
electronic ballasts which exceed FCC part 18 limits by more than 40dB.
I will carefully look at the W4EF solution you referenced.

73,
Larry, W0QE