RFI

Re: [RFI] coaxial entrance panel

To: "'Jorge Diez - CX6VM'" <cx6vm.jorge@gmail.com>, "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] coaxial entrance panel
From: "EDWARDS, EDDIE J" <eedwards@oppd.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2012 16:14:15 +0000
Jorge,

You can find six really decent whitepapers and/or articles (with photos!) on
lightning protection on DX Engineering's web site at this link:
http://www.dxengineering.com/techarticles/lightningandrfiinfo

The articles/papers are heavy on Polyphaser brand stuff (now owned by
Protection Technology Group), but you can compare and substitute other brands
as needed.  Polyphaser used to also have good papers before they were bought
out by PTG.

Those Hofi-Technik surge protectors don't appear to be made for outdoor use,
and most are not, so I assume you plan to weatherproof them if using them
outdoors.  I don't know of any surge suppressors that have a right angle
connection like you mentioned.  But you can get either bracket or bulkhead
mounted suppressors from most vendors and make it work as you described.

Two important things to keep in mind with grounding cables for lightning
protection; (1) do your best to create a single-point grounding system for all
RF & utility entry cables--this can be entry into the home or just the shack
entry point if no other option exist--but still tie all utility grounds to the
single point ground system, and (2) ground all coax shields before entry to
house/bldg since they say most lightning energy is usually found on the shield.
 The suppressor is just the last bit of protection after the cable's shield is
grounded.  Without the shield grounded first, the protectors might just blow-up
when taking direct hits (I've heard this, but have not seen it).

73, de ed -K0iL