RFI

Re: [RFI] Shielding a ground wire

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Shielding a ground wire
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2013 15:59:23 -0700
On 4/27/2013 1:32 PM, Christopher Brown wrote:
But it is not a magic RF sink, and as far as the station goes.....station is second
floor...strap or not, it is not a "RF ground" or some such for anything above
80M.

Right. In general, a connection EARTH is NOT part of a solution to RFI problems, nor does it make antennas work better (although it CAN provide a current sink for a receiving antenna, the earth is FAR too lossy to be an efficient part of a TX antenna).

We MUST provide an effective earth connection for any premises, but the reason for it is LIGHTNING SAFETY, not noise elimination.

The only example I can think of where an earth connection CAN help reduce noise is in combination with one or more common mode chokes to shunt common mode current to the earth rather than a cable that can either radiate it or couple it to an antenna feedpoint.

73, Jim K9YC