RFI

Re: [RFI] RFI-ing myself

To: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI-ing myself
From: Charlie Gallo <Charlie@TheGallos.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:45 -0400
On 9/30/2013 Jim Brown wrote:

> On 9/30/2013 6:53 AM, Charlie Gallo wrote:
>> IF I pull the cable from the Airport, there is no problem (so it isn't the
>> stereo picking it up),

> Not necessarily.  EVERY cable is an antenna.  I would not rule out the
> stereo until I'd tried a "dummy" connector in the line between the
> Airport and the stereo.

You missed, or I miss wrote - I pulled the cable from the airport, but LEFT it
on the stereo - no problem then

> Bill Whitlock developed the idea of a "dummy"
> -- it's a male/female connector combo wired so that the shields carry
> through but the signal conductors do not. That preserves the "antenna"
> path, but breaks the audio path, so you can figure out which box is
> detecting the RF.

>> and there are LOTS of reports of Airports picking up even FM broadcast.  I'm
>> thinking of the bucket, but would need to fins something else that would do
>> the job.  Any ideas how to suppress this thing?  I'm betting there is some
>> sort of DC>daylight audio response that can be bypassed or something

> Do you also have a choke on the power cable to the Airport?

It looks like a wall wart - plugs right into the outlet

> What is the source of "music" to the system?  A computer?  Anything that
> has wires attached?

WiFi signal - the AirPort is a WiFi router that has an audio out and CAN hook
to eithernet and USB, but I have nothing attached to either of those

> You didn't say what transmitter frequencies are being detected.

Well, so far, we can say 80,40,20,17,15,12 and 10 - aka every band I work

--
73 de KG2V - Charles Gallo
Quality Custom Machine-shop work for the radio amateur (sm)